Prepress Guides / Forms
In these guides you will find tutorials on how to set up your files, answers to frequently asked questions, and other helpful information.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- File Setup and Submission
- Print Ready PDF Specifications
- Exporting PDF from Adobe InDesign CS4, CS5, CS6
- Exporting PDF from Adobe InDesign Creative Cloud
- Exporting PDF from QuarkxPress 8 through QX 2017
- Generating PDF from MS Word
- Generating PDF from MS Word 365
- Page Boxes in PDF Files
- Halftone Guidelines, ICC Profiles, and Dot Gain for Offset Printing
- Compressing Files for Windows
- Compressing Files for Macintosh
- Uploading/Downloading Files to Sheridan’s FTP
- Select Electronic Warehouse Guidelines
Component Template Creator
The Sheridan Component Template Creator for books allows you to build a custom template for your paper and case-bound projects produced at Sheridan MI. By entering a book’s trim size, page count, and text stock ppi, you can generate paper cover, printed case, stamped case, and dust jacket templates.
Any changes to your page count or materials being used may change your layout specifications. Contact your Customer Service Representative if any changes occur or if you need assistance using the Component Template Creator.
Download the Sheridan MI Component Template Creator.
Note: In order for the Template Creator to be used successfully, macros need to be enabled within Excel. Click on the version of Excel you are using for instructions on how to enable macros 2007, 2010.
Need a template for a project being produced at Sheridan GR, Sheridan KY, Sheridan MN, or Sheridan WI? Contact your Customer Service Representative and they will generate a template for you.
Self Publishing Guide
You must be thinking about writing a book or have one in the works if you’re researching how to get it published. You’ve come to the right place! Sheridan has helped many small and first-time publishers get their titles printed. If you have never printed a book before, or if you have questions about any step in the printing process, Sheridan’s Self-Publishing Guide is a great resource for you.
The Self-Publisher’s Step-by-Step Guide to Successfully Managing the Book Printing Process covers items such as: obtaining your ISBN, Bar Code, and Copyright Registration; establishing credit and getting the best pricing; preparing your manuscript and cover; submitting your files, reviewing proofs, and book production; shipping and receiving your books, and much more.
We hope you find this guide useful, and if we can be of assistance to you throughout the process, please let us know.
- Download the Self-Publishing Guide as an ePDF
- Download the Self-Publishing Guide as an ePub
- Download the Self-Publishing Guide as MobiPocket
Not sure which version to download?
Sheridan recommends downloading the ePDF if viewing on a computer, ePub if viewing on a tablet or eReader device (excluding Kindle), and MobiPocket if viewing on Kindle.
Sheridan Books Glossary
Sheridan has created a Book Glossary comprised of useful terms related to digital file preparation and book manufacturing. The Book Glossary makes a handy reference guide and serves as an introduction to our intriguing industry.
UK to US Conversion Guide
Publishing can be tricky. And, if you are an international publisher sending work to the United States for printing, the terminology can sometimes add to the confusion – but it doesn’t have to. That is why we created this handy guide to understanding printing terms, trim sizes, and text weights in the United States… so that the product you receive matches your expectations.
- Download the UK to US Conversion Guide
This section contains instructional guides to facilitate the proper setup of popular software applications for online and print production.
- Sheridan NH Specification Manual
- QuarkXpress PDF Creation Guide
- Microsoft Office PDF Creation Guide
- PC Applications PDF Creation Guide
- Adobe Pagemaker PDF Creation Guide
- Configuring a Workstation for PostScript Generation
- Acrobat Distiller Guide
- Internet Explorer FTP Guide
- Adobe InDesign Preset Package
- QuarkXpress Print Styles Package
- Adobe Distiller Job options: TSG Print Package
- Prinergy Refiner PPD (PC)
- Creo Color TIFF XT (PC)
- Prinergy Refiner PPD (Mac)
- Creo Color TIFF XT (Mac)
- Creo Distiller Assistant (PC)
- Creo Distiller Assistant (Mac)
- Markzware FlightCheck Professional Ground Controls