Perform a variety of physical and mechanical tasks involving the storing of all printed signatures from work in progress, delivering the signatures to Bindery machines as needed, and keeping all recyclable paper containers empty. A majority of work requires use of forklift and/or tow motor. This is a 12 hour rotating shift position.
- Retrieves WIP Signatures: Signatures are retrieved for storage locations in the Fordem and Sears Warehouses, then delivered to bindery machines according to the bindery schedule and machine requirements.
- Performs Bindery General Worker duties when not assigned to fork-lift work.
- Store Skids of Signatures: This includes banding pallets of signatures using the banding machines, storing banded skids in designated areas, recording activity in inventory system, and transporting the skids to the Bindery as needed.
- Clears Recycling: This includes moving recycle bins away from machines when full and disposing of other excess stock at direction of supervisor.
- Safety: Complies with OSHA regulations and company safety policies. Monitors for safety hazards and reports any safety-related concerns. Must operate forklift in proper manner and complete pre-shift forklift inspection sheet as required.
- Must be able to understand and follow basic verbal instructions.
- Must be able to read a bindery schedule and bindery job control form and understand book components required for given job.
- Must be able to read sufficiently to identify various signatures and supplies.
- Prior experience in operating forklift, tow motor, and/or bindery experience desirable but not required.
- Possession of a high school diploma, GED or equivalent preferred.
Work is performed in a factory environment with regular exposure to dust, dirt, noise, and the physical hazards of machinery, plus some exposure to fumes, oils, lubricants, and chemicals
- Walking: Must be able to walk as some tasks require walking.
- Standing: Must be able to stand on a concrete floor for varying amounts of time.
- Moving/Lifting: Must be able to move/lift skids, forms, and pallet tops weighing from 15 to 50 lbs. on a frequent basis.
- Bending/Stooping: Must be able to bend from the waist, flexing knees, to perform certain baling operations.
- Reaching: Must be able to reach in all directions to perform various tasks.
- Sitting: Operation of forklifts requires continuous sitting.
- Climbing: Must be able to climb on and off forklift.
- Grasping: Must be able to grasp/hold controls for forklift operation.