Sheridan MI has operated in Chelsea, Michigan, for more than 70 years of service to the book publishing industry. Our customers depend on us to covert their ideas into one of the most important inventions man ever made, a book of printed words.
Sheridan MI is looking for a HR Generalist to join it team to hire, onboard, assist with employee engagement while supporting our core values. In addition, this position will support other HR related tasks.
The HR Generalist is responsible for a range of HR related tasks with a strong emphasis on recruiting, onboarding, and retention; refining policies; HR compliance; HRIS; administering benefits; compensation; disability/leave administration and tracking; worker’s compensation administration; and confidentially maintaining up to date employee records.
- Recruits, interviews, and facilitates the hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions; collaborates with department managers and supervisors to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Conducts background checks and employment eligibility verifications.
- Conducts new hire orientation.
- Regularly works in HRIS, entering new hires, changes, terminations
- Implements employee recognition programs.
- Provides support to employees in various HR-related areas such as benefits and leave; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale.
- Handles employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the HR Manager.
- Promotes HR programs to create an efficient and healthy workplace.
- Assists in development and implementation of Human Resources policies.
- Gathers and analyzes data with useful HR metrics, like time to hire and employee turnover rates.
- Maintains employee files and records in electronic and paper form.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in Human Resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Administers medical leaves and family leaves as needed
- Works with the Benefits Manager with enrollment, changes, and annual open enrollment
- Monitors and updates bulletin board communications.
- Support the CJK Group Core Values effort throughout the company.
- Works closely with the Corporate Safety Manager in implementing programs and training, completing reports, etc.
- Backs up HR Manager function as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Good communicator, listener, and problem-solver.
- Understanding of general human resources policies and procedures.
- General knowledge of employment/labor laws.
- Desire to work as a team with a results-driven approach.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and utmost confidentiality.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Desired Skills and Abilities:
- At least three years of Human Resources Assistant, Generalist and/ or Recruiting experience preferred.
- SHRM-CP certification, or HRCI’s PHR certification preferred.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
- Must be able to access and navigate each department at the organization’s facilities.