Sheridan MI has operated in Chelsea, Michigan, for more than 70 years of service to the book publishing industry. Our customers depend on us to covert their ideas into one of the most important inventions man ever made, a book of printed words.
Full responsibility for the efficient operation and quality of the print product from the Digital Component press. This position is also required to assist with efficient operation and quality of the print product from the Digital Inkjet Press.
- Read and understand work order, assembly sheets, impositions and any other job instructions.
- Must be able to use a computer at an intermediate-to-advanced level for daily job operations.
- Must be able to process all related work and instructions by using electronic methods.
- Order paper taking into consideration the needs of the following shift.
- Inkjet roll stocks being used are very expensive, thereby diligent paper conservation techniques will be expected and used on a daily basis.
- Need to maintain Inks and Bonding Agents supply by changing out drums as needed. These supplies are very expensive, thereby diligent supply conservation techniques will be expected and used on a daily basis.
- Set up stacking needs to send neat, well-marked and complete product to the next cost center.
- Load the correct paper into the machine while tracking consumption and return weights.
- Ensure product conform to next cost center needs including proper identification.
- Be sure all scrap is thrown out, both printed and blank in the proper gaylords.
- See that all skids are safely stacked before leaving Press area.
- Transport materials as necessary.
- Keep entire press area safe and clean.
- Communicate with following shift personnel.
- Perform end of shift duties leaving area ready for following shift.
- Be capable of assisting in all Preventative Maintenance needs as outlined from the Press Manufacturer. 100% Preventative Maintenance compliance is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Candidate must present a positive attitude and show a high-level of teamwork.
- Work with other operators to minimize paper waste and press downtime.
- High school Diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and /or training; or equivalent combination of education or experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as work orders, workplace and safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Basic math skills, add subtract, and ability to use a measuring device.
- Basic problem solving skills.
Desired Skills and Abilities:
- Six months of manufacturing or related experience preferred.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues preferred.
- Mechanical aptitude preferred.
- Ability to work with the following software packages or programs:
- Microsoft Office, PrintStream
- Effective email and electronic communication skills are required
- Ability to work with the following tools or machinery
- Pallet jack
- Paper Turning Disc
- Knives: razor, hand, slab-off skives
- Pallet wrap holder
- Hand tools
- Grease guns/ air hose nozzles
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs frequently, 20lbs constantly
- Constantly be able to work in the work activities
- Moving to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another,
- Communicating with others to exchange information,
- Operating machines and/or power tools
- Work in noisy environments
- Occasionally be able to do the listed activities
- Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like
- Moving self in different position to accomplish tasks in various environments including tight space
- Remain in stationary position, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods
- Adjusting or moving objects up to 50 lbs in all directions
- Repeating motions that may include the wrists, hands, and/or fingers
- Assessing the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned
- Work in high temperatures, small and/or enclosed spaces